Wednesday, June 18, 2014

There's no accounting for taste.

I just watched the complete film of Camelot, something I was unable to do since sitting through it when it was first released in 1967. I recall rushing to see it in Boston and finding it corny, leaden, pretentious and boring. But today I realized that it is boring, leaden, corny and pretentious. It's hard to fault the film alone since I have never liked the musical play. I remember it opening in Boston to great acclaim, but didn't bother buy a ticket then, thank goodness. Anyway the film has some of the worst direction by Joshua Logan and some of the most laughable romantic scenes with Franco Nero and Vanessa Redgrave. However, many of the solo scenes by Richard Harris are quite moving.  While I have never been bothered by characters suddenly singing their feelings, in this film it seemed awkward and artificial, though most of the songs are excellent if not always believable. The point is I thought this was a rotten and dull film, but when I went to to a website, I was surprised how many people loved it and thought it was superbly produced. These same people damned Paint Your Wagon, which is one of my favorite film musicals (also directed by Joshua Logan). What's the point of even having film critics? You either like a film or you don't, so what do you care about a stranger's opinion. I hated Camelot. You might love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment