Sunday, August 4, 2013

Today, August 4th, there was good news and bad news. I decided I don't like either. At least not when it has no effect on my life. For instance, why do I need to know that a maniac in California used his car as a killing machine on the boardwalk in Venice Beach and murdered a young visitor from Italy? I don't. Nor do I need to know about the young woman in New York City who fell 15 stories to her death because of a faulty balcony rail. These stories can only make me feel sad and depressed. Yet the national news highlights them much more than any world news which does effect my life. On the other hand, I don't need what they consider good news either. I have no interest in the salvagers who found a fortune in silver on the bottom of the ocean any more than I am delighted for the old couple who won a multi-million dollar lottery. Yes, of course, it's jealousy. What else would it be?  I can't imagine that anyone is thrilled to hear of a total stranger's windfall. But these are easy stories for the lazy news media to cover. International politics, dangerous trends, signs of future weather disasters are more difficult. Ergo: More coverage of violent crimes and jubilant sudden millionaires.

No comments:

Post a Comment