Friday, August 2, 2013

Are they really necesssary?

Doctors prescribe medicines that extend your life, but make it not worth living. I know that if I didn't take the medications prescribed to me for high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and enlarged prostate, I would feel great. Every day I have to deal with their side effects of achiness, fatigue, lack of sexual interest, and a general sense of malaise. Every time I experiment and stop taking even one for a single day or two, I feel better. But of course modern medicine has us convinced that we need these costly cures or otherwise we will not last another year. I find it particularly galling because I was always in a good mood, full of energy, and optimistic. Now I am mildly content, functional, anxious and pessimistic. Of course that could just be the changes that come with advanced age, but I don't think so.
One of these days I'll make the brave move of going without a single medication of an entire week. If you're still reading my blog, I'll let you know what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment