Sunday, August 25, 2013

In praise of PETA

Though sometimes PETA goes over the top, I totally approve of everything they do to protect animals from the cruelties of man. And I salute every celebrity who has spoken out for PETA and helped them fight animal abuse. But I am a bit perturbed that they completely ignored an idea I sent them, which I think would help their cause a lot. I am greatly disturbed when I see an animal killed in a film or whose death is treated as comic. Therefore I suggested to PETA that they published a regular listing of all entertainment that features the death or abuse of an animal strictly for entertainment. If PETA supporters avoided those films, I am sure the producers would soon start showing more respect. I happen to like Lifetime mystery movies, but as soon as I see that the heroine has a featured pet, I shut the film off because I know at some point it will be killed to show how vicious the villain is. I realized this after three such films. I will not see the new Hangover film because they kill a giraffe for laughs. I stopped watching Magic City when they killed a dog as a plot device. I have heard they killed other dogs since, so I'm pleased the show has been cancelled. In the very first episode of the sitcom Yes, Dear they made a comic bit out of running over a cat. I never watched the show again. I am sure many animal lovers feel as I do and are disturbed by animal abuse or deaths in films. We are not talking about films like Old Yeller or The Yearling where it's called for, but cases where it's just plain gratuitious.

No comments:

Post a Comment