Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Animal lovers? Nah.

I detest  lot of national companies. But I have a particular loathing for Petsmart. For a company that supposedly loves animals and deals exclusively in pet products, they're prices are obscenely high. What they charge for the cat food I use is a great deal more than what  it costs in the local supermarket, which is not known for its low prices. On several occasions I have asked the clerks about this price difference and to a person they plead ignorance. Perhaps I am wrong to think that a company that buys pet products exclusively should be able to sell them for less than companies that deal with them only as a sideline. You may wonder why I even bother going there. The answer is because they often have an item I cannot find elsewhere. Today it was Lysine. My outdoor cat has a weepy left eye. I read that Lysine helps. On the internet there are lots of foods with Lysine, so I naturally figured Petsmart might have some of them. Wrong. What they did have was a small bag of Lysine chews. The cost? $11.76.
I can afford that. But I think of all the people whose cats have weepy eyes who can't afford Petsmart's we-couldn't-care-less-about-your-pet high prices.

Note: None of my four cats wanted anything to do with these supposedly delicious-to-cats chews, but rather eschewed them. I returned them this morning for a refund, which I got from a scowling cashier, who didn't even ask why I was returning them. If I were running a company that is something I would want to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment