Wednesday, April 1, 2015

The Citibank Shuffle

Recently, while planning a trip to Washington, D.C., I was astounding at how costly most hotels were. (And, yes, I consider $350.00 a night costly.) So I decided to use my Citicard Reward Points, which I have never used. I was told that I had 55,000 points worth $528.00. So I asked them how much it would cost to stay at the hotel that was asking $350.00. The rep (who said he was in Columbus but he sounded far more exotic) said he could get me a room with a king-sized bed and my cost, in addition to the 55,000 points, would be $200.00. Amazed I asked how much the room was. He said $728.00. For one night! I figured he was confused and called again today. Same story, and every other hotel the new rep quoted sas $600.00 plus. Some reward. I asked if there were a cash value. Yes, says he, and connects me to someone else. This person says the cash value is much less than the $528.00. It's $250.00. Perhaps I would like a gift card instead, He named many retailers. I chose one. What's that worth? I ask. $528.00. Now that makes sense. So as far as I can see the hotel rewards are kind of a scam since I only had a choice of overpriced properties. Maybe other people now how to play this game. I don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment