Thursday, January 30, 2020

OH, NO.NOT MORE MAFIA!

I said in a previous blog, we don't need another Little Women. The new version is the same old story with a few new twists and a far less Jo Jo. Well I also feel we don't need another Scorsese gangster epic. The Irishman while brilliantly filmed, wonderfully acted, and satisfyingly violent has been done before by the same talents. The story wasn't as compelling as past films and at three and a half hours  it was too long. It was also a little depressing to see popular past stars as old men: There they were Robert DI Nero, Al Pacino, Joe Pesci and Harvey Kettle wrinkled without aging makeup. I  love the settings and the musical oldies, but then I'm seventy-seven. Which means I'm also of the age when any sane person is a bit jaded about people getting shot in the face and strangled in the front seat of a car. There is no question that Scorsese is a inspired filmmaker. And this one seems to be another much-awarded and praised hit. It just didn't work for me. And frankly I find the title a total misnomer. I think they should have stuck with the book's chilling original title, I Hear You Paint Houses.

No comments:

Post a Comment