Tuesday, January 5, 2016

"Give me the simple life."

Today on the Internet is an article titled "Look at Wayne Gretzky's $8.2M Estate." I guess such articles are designed to inspire envy and admiration. But I always find them kind of sad. I wonder is that really what this person needs to be happy? They have fame and fortune, of course, but I feel like they haven't found the core of their contentment, not if they need a palatial home and endless luxuries to experience a sense of achievement. How much of it is for the resident, and how much is designed to impress visitors and guests, or readers of such articles on the Internet? Or worse how often is a lavish display of wealth designed to prove to oneself that he or she is successful and worthy. I say do it if it makes you happy, but does it? One is reminded of Warren Buffet, "The Wizard of Omaha" the most successful investor in the world and one of the world's richest men. Buffet, despite his fabulous wealth, still lives in the five-bedroom stucco home he bought in 1957 for $31,500. And every time I see him, he's smiling.

No comments:

Post a Comment