Friday, January 22, 2016

THE HIGH COST OF NOT HAVING BENCHES.

I don't know about other cities, but Miami seems to have some kind of thing against benches. At almost every major store I visit there are no outside benches, no place to sit. I have asked the managers why. Usually they have no idea, but they guess it has something to do with the homeless or indigents sleeping in front of their stores. This seems specious since many of these outlets are in malls far from downtown. Plus, many of today's benches are partitioned to prevent anyone lying down. Forgetting all the excuses, I think not having benches is costing these stores money. Why? Because often when a couple is shopping, one of them tires quickly. If there were a bench the impatient partner could sit outside, read, talk on their phone, or chat with a fellow non-shopper while their spouse or friend continues spending money inside. But since there isn't a bench,  they're more likely to rush the other person along before they have spent all the money they would have spent if they'd been allowed more time to shop. Thus the store loses money every day since this is not a rarity.  I see this kind of carping all the time. I do it myself when I am shopping with friends. Now I could probably sit in some corner of the store, but then I would have to listen to the crappy music that's usually playing. Whereas if I could wait outside on a bench in the Florida sunshine enjoying quiet people watching, my friends could shop as long they like.

No comments:

Post a Comment