Friday, January 1, 2016

AT 25, GORGEOUS. AT 65, GROTESQUE.

I am amazed at the number of tattoos I see every day. Once upon a time, they were only on pseudo-macho men or ex-sailors. Now they are seen across all social lines: men, women, teens, lowbrow and highbrow. And it's no longer just an anchor or rose, but elaborate designs, Biblical quotes, multi-colored dragons and birds, tigers, snakes, Chinese symbols, and even company logos. And they are no longer on the arm or shoulder but on the face, feet, buttocks, fingers, etc. This sudden acceptance of body art doesn't offend me, but it does surprise me. I am fascinated that so many people are willing to commit to an indelible tattoo. It is like saying that you are willing to wear the same article of clothing every day for the rest of your life. Also getting older is always difficult. I think it would be depressing to have a design on your skin that is fresh and vital when you are young, but mocks you with its fading and wrinkled appearance as you age.

No comments:

Post a Comment