Monday, June 17, 2013

Tonto and Mrs. Doubtfire









Since it hasn't yet been released, I haven't seen 2013's The Lone Ranger. But I have seen enough promotional materials to be impressed with Johnny Depp as Tonto. Now I don't know if Depp has this same look throughout the movie but if he does, I think I'll skip the film. Why? Because while a sense of realism isn't important to a lot of people, it is to me. And, frankly, I can't imagine Tonto getting up every morning from his blanket on the ground and doing this complex makeup job on his face—and getting it exactly the same every day. I had the same problem with Mrs. Doubtfire. There was Robin Williams performing in minutes a transformation that took the makeup artists hours. The absurdity kills the credibility of the rest of the film. Now, while I detested Mrs. Doubtfire, I suspect that The Lone Ranger just might be an exciting western and Depp is always worth watching. So, I hope I'm wrong about the makeup situation. Still, if I'm not,  I don't enjoy movies that have a strong, "Give me a break!" element.

No comments:

Post a Comment