Monday, June 10, 2013

Oh, Tony.

Last night was the Tony's, the only awards show I like. But other than the opening number, which was brilliant and has since been accused by the idiotic Daily Mail  of harboring a racist epithet,  I found nothing on Broadway that would appeal to me. First of all I hate and despise Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf. I will never understand the success of this bitter scream fest in which you are confined for an entire evening with four unlikeable people.  Tracy Lett is the lucky man who won the best actor Tony to put beside all those writing awards for his play August, Osage County, which I thought was the world's most honored soap opera. I wouldn't see Kinky Boots on a bet, though I am sure is a brilliantly performed, feel-good treat to those who like that kind of show. I refuse to see any money-grubbing Disney show no matter how good the reviews. Cinderella (happily not Disney's) looked charming, though it is a lesser and kind of flat Rodgers and Hammerstein score. Pippin is probably excellent, but it was never one of my favorite shows. Besides it was free on television way back in 1981. I have no interest in seeing anything written by the hackneyed and overrated Christopher Durang.  Matilda is a child of whom I know nothing other than that I confuse her with Madeline. I am sure The Nance is probably good and more than likely A Trip to Bountiful is the best thing on Broadway, although the much admired Cicely Tyson has always been a rather pompous windbag. So you see, I'm not really hot for Broadway, which has been nothing but disappointing lately. I actually walked out on two recent Sondheim revivals, something I thought I would never do.  The material was brilliant, the direction listless. The latest West Side Story was a loud and tedious evening—well, half an evening— despite the producers trying to spice it up with Spanish dialog. Most recently I saw The Big Knife, which had a fabulous set surrounding talented actors in a dated play. You probably think I am being too hard on the New York theater, but keep in mind the average decent ticket to any Broadway show today is at least $100, whether it has a cast of two or fifty.

No comments:

Post a Comment