Thursday, July 28, 2011

I should know better.

One of the most worthless foods a consumer can buy (Is it even a food?) is Kellogg's Pop Tarts. There are eight or more overpriced Pop Tarts in each box, two per thin foil package, and each individual tart weighing in at a hefty 180 calories. I have to admit that every now and then I get a craving for this rectangle of sugar and suspicious everything else. I buy a box, damage my body with its contents and am content to do without for another year. Bur even when I succumb to this craving, I resent Kellogg's for the obscene price tag they put on this nearly worthless product. Not only worthless, but dangerous. After just a short time in the toaster, these pop-up pastries are lava hot and one can get burned transferring each volcanic treat to a plate—something that is very difficult to do without having the pastry crack, revealing the miserly amount of filling beneath the fragile crust. Still I buy them, consume them and hate myself for participating in any way to the greediness of Kellogg, a company I find despicably unprincipled since they attempt to create a wholesome all-American image while they sell consumers all around the world boxes mostly filled with Battle Creek air. But then Kellogg always had a tinge of flim-flam since William Kellogg founded the company as a sanitarium in 1906. Wow that's over 100 years of selling nearly empty boxes. And, since 1967, nourishment-free Frosted Pop Tarts.

4 comments:

  1. Noooooooooooo! Pop Tarts are SO not worthless! They are the perfect hurricane food! No, you can't toast them if you don't have any electricity, but still! Plus, they are delicious! Cherry is good, but the best is probably brown sugar cinnamon! Can I write a single sentence without using an exclamation mark? Whoops, I just did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't say they're not yummy. In fact, that is what we ate in a hallway right after an earthquake in Los Angeles. But even if they are a guilty pleasure, I still resent Kelloggs for being so avaricious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Add to complaints about Pop Tarts the fact that they are something children love and are bombarded with advertising regarding same. Yet, despite the statistics regarding juvenile diabetes, Kellogs has still not seen fit to produce a sugar-free PopTart. Have they not heard of splenda?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right. And, as in most of their advertising to children, the suggeston is that Pop Tarts are really good for you.

    ReplyDelete