Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Litter litter.

I don't save things. Unlike hoarders I get the greatest pleasure from tossing things out. But there are some things I feel very guilty about trashing. My friend Gady once pointed out to me that a simple butter tub with lid, while trash to us, would be a prized container in poor countries.The same is true of so many items we dispose of without thought: tin cans, the plastic dishes from microwaved meals, glass jars, even a Coke bottle. We are so spoiled by having so much we don't even recognize the value of most packages any more. It's a pity there isn't any easy way to get our valuable trash to countries where it could be used again and again. This was brought home to me this morning because of the new kitty litter I started using. While most litters come in worthless cardboard boxes, or bags which are a real pain in the ass, Cat's Pride, which I get at Publix, is packaged in a plastic jug. But not just a jug, but a 20-pound-capacity white plastic jug with a strong easy-grip molded handle and a large round pouring spout with a green twist-on cap. In other words, a jug of surprising quality and design considering the litter costs less than most others of the same size. Anyway, the point is, that one uses the litter and tosses away this container, which could carry gallons of water to primitive villages for years. Or, cut up, could probably be turned into dozens of other practical and durable items for people not as privileged as we are. But what am I to do? Not toss it? Start stacking them up in the garage hoping that some day I'll find a way to get them to those who need such items? Of course not. I'll waste them like I, like we, waste so many other products without actually thinking, "Now who could use this?"

No comments:

Post a Comment