Thursday, July 14, 2011

How's that again?

One of the frustrating things about doing a blog is that I often see a commercial or ad I really dislike, but cannot locate a copy on the internet.That's true of a print ad that really annoys me. (I know, I should buy a scanner. And I will, at some point.) Since I can't show you the ad, let me describe it. It is for the Energizer zero-mercury hearing aid battery. Quite simply it shows an grey-haired man wheeling a laughing girl of about eight across the lawn in a wheelbarrow. So far, so good. But the headline below the photo is, "Did she say grumpy old clown? Or grandpa slow down?" Who approved this inane headline? Why would a smiling young child say, "grumpy old clown"? She wouldn't. It's an idiotic choice of words. If anything, it can only suggest that her grandfather is a paranoid old fool who, in the middle of this fun moment, begins to imagine that his grandchild is verbally attacking him. In which case, he doesn't need the Energizer battery for his hearing aid, but the help of a psychiatrist. This ad surprises me. I expect more from the Energizer Bunny.

No comments:

Post a Comment