Sunday, July 24, 2011

Publix, where shopping is expensive and average.

Not only do I find the Publix commercials insipid and insincere but I don't find shopping at Publix a pleasure despite their endlessly repeated slogan. For one thing, it's expensive. For another many of their clerks, though well-meaning, never know where anything is, but don't hesitate to tell me an aisle number that's absolutely wrong. The music they play, at least at my Publix, is too loud and far from my taste. When I'm shopping, I don't want to hear rock music screaming in my ear, especially not songs that have a single lyric repeated ad infinitum. I would guess in the past two months I have heard Tina Turner sing, "What's Love Got to Do with It?" 20 times, a song I don't like even once. Don't get me wrong: I don't hate Publix and, other than the music, there's nothing that really annoys me. But I do find their commercials saccharine and their sense that they are so agreeable a bit inflated. I've been shopping at Publix for years and can't recall a single incident where an employee remembered my preferences as their commercials don't suggest, but proclaim. Their latest commercials are particularly odd because they makes statements that suggest the customer's satisfaction is even more important than the quality of the food or service. Like the last line of this commercial, " While knowing our way behind the counter is important, knowing who's on the other side is even more." No, it isn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment