Monday, August 27, 2012

"Let us now turn to hymn 128.."

There are lots of expressions I dislike. One of them is "Preaching to the choir". Before I tell you why, let me tell you how surprised I was that this is not that old an expression.  From my research of the phrase it seems it only dates back to 1973, supposedly coined in the Ohio newspaper, the Lima News.  The exact quote, according to my Internet source, was, "He said he felt like the minister who was preaching to the choir. That is, to the people who always come to church, but not the ones who need it most." Anyway, the reason I don't think this is all that clever a cliche is that many choir members are not all that religious, but have joined the choir because they like to sing.  They may even be atheists who are willing to put up with a lot of magical thinking crap in order to sing "Rock of Ages" or "Old Rugged Cross." I think a more accurate expression is "Preaching to the congregation." Even then....





No comments:

Post a Comment