Thursday, August 2, 2012

Checking out checking in.

I see lots of commercials for sites like Expedia and Hotels.com. They promise me these great deals on hotels and in their commercials show prices like $97, which would probably be a good deal even in
Stockton,  Texas. But when I contact them, which I have tried doing often in the past few years, their prices seem no lower than the hotel's and sometimes even higher. Today for instance, I tried booking directly with a Washington, D.C. hotel. The rate was $209 a night. Ah, I thought, it must be much less with Expedia. But when I went to them, the same kind of room and the same nights were an average of $236.00 a night. So where are these great savings? In addition Expedia charges my credit card immediately (for a booking two months away) the hotel only when I check in. And the hotel has a much more flexible and less complicated cancellation policy. Maybe there are people who are getting great deals on these sites, but I'm sure as hell not one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment