Saturday, September 18, 2010

What else can we do to lose?

When Bill Maher returned to HBO last night, he showed us the new logo and theme for the Democratic party. It was so bland, flat and stupid I assumed it was comic bit by him to show how clueless the party leaders can be. Then I began to worry that he was serious, which he was. This truly stupid logo and line had to be created by someone. Who? Then it had to be approved by lots of other people. Who? It's terrible. It looks like a competitor for Target stores or a symbol that an inventor hasn't obtained a copyright, but it's under Decision. It's a capital letter trapped in a circle. What Freudian significance does that have? Plus, with Republicans flashing red, white and blue as if they were only ones who owned that tricolor palette,why would we choose two bland blues—one not even the color on the American flag? And what about the slogan: "Change that matters." That's the kind of groan-getting line that someone would toss out at a creative session before we got serious. I am hoping that this idiotic choice has not already been reproduced on posters, banners and mailers as the only thing it could stand for is "Dumb."

5 comments:

  1. Every thing you have written is spot on. Including the part that said it was bland, flat and stupid.

    Sadly, I have come to believe my Democrat leaders are exactly that, bland, flat and stupid.

    I find Republicans a worse alternative.

    I wish there was a party with the values of Democrats and the drive of Republicans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately there are not. So, despite the many stupid mistakes our Democrats make, it is essential that we get out the vote this November.
    Because the alternatative is terrifying: nutcases like Angle, O'Donnell, Rand, and that nut who sent out the bestiality photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. George Edwards, I don't care if you hate the logo, but please, please, please, NEVER use the word "Democrat" as an adjective. It is a noun. Only Republicans and teabaggers use it as an adjective, to make it sound like a pejorative. Would you refer to Israel as a "Jew state"? Of course you wouldn't.

    And by the way, have you looked at the logo on the DNC's website? I think it looks fine.

    http://www.democrats.org/

    Bottom line: This logo-bashing is a waste of time and energy when we should be concentrating on getting out our vote in November.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, Cats. But I have also looked at it on the DNC's website. I still think it's weak. But you're right: logo-bashing is a waste of time. I wrote this post before I realized the logo was a fait accompli.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm less offended by the logo than I am by the use of "Democrat" as an adjective.

    ReplyDelete