Monday, September 27, 2010

My most hated word.


Last night in a Nissan commercial, which I cannot find on YouTube, they used the word about eight times. Dozens of commercials use it because copywriters are lazy and reach for the obvious,
especially in children's commercials where better words should be introduced to challenge young minds. Announcers use it endlessly, though it should be shunned by anyone over 16. Very few friends agree with me and many seem to think I'm a pain to so resent this word. Everybody uses it instead of trying to dig into their vocabulary to find a more suitable or descriptive word. Or, if they don't have a vocabulary, buy a thesaurus. My friend Peter, bless him, knows it annoys me and tries to avoid it. But to most people today, it's unavoidable. They are addicted to it. They have no replacement, no synonym. They don't even know what a pathetic cliche it has become. I never use the word, at least in the mindless context others do. I will only use it for its other meanings. Which is why it is not included in this post. You know what it is, and you will probably use it ten or twenty times today. But I hope not.

No comments:

Post a Comment