Friday, September 17, 2010

How can you be cranky about holidays?

Now that I am retired I don't get excited about holidays. Three- or four-day weekends have no meaning any longer. But being cranky, there are still things that bother me about the holidays. For instance, the Fourth of July. I don't like fireworks. Partly because they are the same boring burst in the air and whistling skyrockets as when I was a kid. Plus, they're never as good as the ones you see on television from Australia or Paris. But mostly I dislike fireworks because they upset animals. I hate to see the fear and anxiety that dogs and cats go through on this loud, loud night. Of course, living in Miami one also has to worry about being hit by an errant bullet since so many idiots are out shooting off their guns. This same danger applies to New Year's Eve. The only thing I don't like about Chistmas is that every announcer in the world says Sanna Claus instead of the correct Santa. And Halloween, (which I know is not a holiday) carries with it a similar annoyance as so many people say Holloween. Where they hell did they get that pronunciation? Despite being an atheist I rather like Easter. My favorite holiday is probably the favorite of many, many gourmets and gourmands for obvious reasons: Thanksgiving. A. It's one of the few holidays where you can sorta eat without guilt and it's almost impossible to mispronounce.

No comments:

Post a Comment