Tuesday, May 24, 2011

A retail guessing game.

I just came from a chain store that I must admit I like, but feel that almost all of their merchandise is greedily overpriced.. As I strolled through the store I saw dozens of items priced at 9.99 (one of their favorite numbers) which cost 3,99 or 4.99 almost anywhere else. They have hundreds of gadgets that one doesn't really need but thinks would be fun to have if they didn't cost from 5.99 to 14.99. Many of their plastic items, which are well-made, but no more so than Tupperware, cost upwards of $129.00. A chair that I saw there six months ago at the too-high price of $39.00 is now $49.00. Hmmm. Almost every item is at least 10% ore than it's worth and often as much as 50% more.Despite their excessive markups, it does seem to be a popular shopping center for the preppie market who don't seem to mind paying 29.99 for a $12.00 canvas bag or $159.00 for a shiny chrome garbage can and another $19.99 for a small supply of complementary disposable bags. If you shop a lot you probably know which chain I am talking about. I frankly don't want to vilify this store since it has every right to charge what the traffic will bear. But I must admit it's rather hard to contain my annoyance.

No comments:

Post a Comment