Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Standing room only.


















Miami has a lot of wonderful things if you love the sun, surf, watersports, and nightlife. But if you lead a more pedestrian existence like me, it lacks many conveniences and comforts. And one of the most conspicuously missing items, at least to me, are benches Notably outside of retail establishments in malls. If two people are shopping, one is always bound to be more of an explorer who can spend hours browsing through every department and examining endless items. Therefore it seems only logical to me that the other other person should be able to step outside the store and sit peacefully on a bench reading or people watching. In most cases this is not possible because there are no benches There are just wide stretches of sidewalk. I have noticed this in many malls, most recently at the one across from Dadeland, home to The Container Store, Old Navy, Office Depot, and Brands Mart. You would think that such a collection of money-making retailers could pool their finances and buy one little bench, but no. I also suspect their unwillingness to provide outdoor seating actually costs them money. As I am sure the less shopacious spouse in these malls has often said, "Let's go home, honey, my feet are killing me and there's no place to sit."

No comments:

Post a Comment