Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Retail's Newest Racket


Yesterday I went shopping for a new video projector to replace the one I have had for 2-1/2 years. At Office Depot I saw an Epson
model that appealed to me, mostly because it was only $499, far less than other models. Of course they have no facilities to demonstrate the product and you can't always believe the glowing reviews by the manufacturer. So I asked a clerk, "If I buy this and I am not happy with it, can I return it?" Her response amazed me. She said that certainly I could return it, but there would be a 15% "restocking fee." In short if I purchased an item of which I know nothing and lug it home, set it up, and find that it falls short of what I expected it to be, I can return it. But I will be charged $75.00. 75.00! I assumed this woman was completely in error about the store's policy, but it was confirmed by another clerk at another Office Depot. I had heard about this "restocking fee" several time earlier in the week when I attempted to return a $175.00 projector bulb which I had ordered by not even opened. In that case I was able to talk the company out of the $26.00 restocking fee. Do people actually pay this absurd charge without complaining? And how epidemic is it? I hope nobody reading this blog will ever be willing to pay a 15% restocking fee for anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment