Sunday, July 12, 2020

THE HIGH COST OF PUPPY LOVE.

I admire veterinarians. At least I used to. I felt that they were doctors totally devoted to curing animals of serious and minor diseases and problems. Dedicated professionals. More interested in healing than profit. But lately they seem to be much greedier, far more costly, quicker to recommend an expensive semi-necessary test. I understand they spend lots of money on modern equipment and intend to use it. In the past they relied more on knowledge and intuition. When my cat Chance was sick I took him to a Miami vet. They subjected him to all kinds of tests which eventually exhausted and killed him. My tab for this abuse was $1,600.00. When I complained to the vet, she said, "Well he had a weak heart." something she had not said before. Several years ago when I tried to buy prescription flea medication from my vet, he refused to sell it to me because my three cats had not been to him for regular checkups. Since they were all healthy, except for fleas, I saw not reason to bring them in for checkups that would cost me an unnecessary $600.00. I lost faith in that clinic from then on. Today when your pet has even a minor problem, friends will say, "Take him to the vet." as if it were a $10 visit. Sadly that is no longer true and having an animal companion whom you love can end up being a very costly expense. In the future, will only the wealthy have pets?

No comments:

Post a Comment