Friday, February 28, 2020

SO MANY COMMERCIALS. MOSTLY BAD.

Having been a copywriter for more than 40 years, I am stunned at how bad commercials are today. I rarely see one that impressed me, and often see spots that stun me with their stupidity. Take Doug and the emu, for instance. Those commercials are stupid enough. But the new one has Doug dangerously chasing another driver on the highway to hand her his card. This from Liberty Mutual, a car insurance company. Shows how much they value safe driving. Another amazing commercial is for Wendy's. A supposed past chef at McDonald's has just created a sandwich for Wendy's. When he bites into it, he exclaims, "Holy". The missing word in that expletive is, "shit". Is that really the best descriptive for a sandwich? I'd love to know what wins awards these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment