Friday, September 27, 2019

AT STARBUCKS THE EMPLOYEES CALL THE SHOTS.

Here is one of the strangest aspects I find about society today. Almost all restaurants and retail outlets say, "You can spend your money here, as long as you are willing to listen to our taste in music, played as loud as we choose." In short if you have a different taste or find our choices unsatisfying, go someplace else. This happened today at Starbucks, an outlet I have been going to since it opened 20 years ago. It has always had annoying rock music, but lately it is louder and more strident It would appear that the music is designed for the young employees since so many of the customers are older and often have earphones. Today I complained that the music was too loud, which is was. My complaint went unheeded and, in fact, the music grew louder. I sensed that my old fashioned tastes were a subject of dismisal and vowed I could not continue patronizing this Starbucks. This is a problem, as all local restaurants mistakenly believe they need pop music, though not as loud as Starbucks. My Publix supermarket also plays mediocre rock music too loud, though the somewhat distant Milam's plays classical music and seems to do fine. The unfortunate thing is that I am not alone in my desire for quieter, more melodic music, but I am alone in that nobody else speaks up or complains. So now I cannot experience the setting I like and the menu I like even though I am willing and able to pay their high prices because the employees must be served.

No comments:

Post a Comment