Saturday, February 7, 2015

Despite being gay, almost all my childhood crushes were on female movie stars. I was in love at one time or another with Mona Freeman, Diana Lynn, and Gigi Perreau. But my greatest passion was for the actress I still find absolutely fascinating when I watch her old movies: Lizabeth Scott. While many compare her to Lauren Bacall and Veronica Lake, I think she was much more exciting than they were. Altogether she made 22 films, mostly playing the cliched bad girl with a heart of you know what. She co-starred with Kirk Douglas, Humphrey Bogart, Burt Lancaster, Robert Ryan and many others and often stole the scenes from her leading men. Probably her most famous role was in The Strange Love of Martha Ivers, but my personal favorite is the 1948 film Pitfall with Dick Powell. It seems like yesterday I was entranced by her beauty and that fantastic husky voice. But, sadly, it wasn't, because Lizabeth Scott died January 31 in Los Angeles at the "I outlived almost everyone" age of 92. 

No comments:

Post a Comment