Wednesday, February 11, 2015

The state book for Hawaii?


I read today that a Tennessee state legislator has introduced a bill to make the Bible the official state book after two other Southern states considered similar moves in recent months. As an atheist I don't object at all. I think every state should have the right to name a work of fiction as their state book. I suggest that Kansas choose The Wizard of Oz; Oklahoma The Grapes of Wrath (they can fight it out with California); Georgia, Gone with the Wind; Maine, Pet Cematary, Massachusetts, Little Women; and so forth. It's none of my affair, but I would suggest to Tennessee that a much better choice for state book is James Agee's Death in the Family since it's not so ridiculously unbelievable as the Bible. And I don't think Utah could choose a more hilariously imaginative tome than The Book of Mormon.

No comments:

Post a Comment