Monday, February 2, 2015

Take a tip from Emily.

During my 40-year advertising career I worked with many brilliant art directors like Bill M. and Bill G. But I had to deal with lots of less than talented ones as well. One of the most annoying traits of these lesser talents was their desire to avoid any kind of promotion for the product in print advertising. They were reluctant to use  type larger than 12 point and detested including a telephone number. (One vapid designer said, "Big type is ugly.") They regarded "their ad" as a work of art and didn't want to spoil it with information. I still see that today. Of course it doesn't affect me in advertising any more, but it annoys the hell out of me in another area: business cards. I must have at least six cards for doctors, insurance companies and suppliers where the type is so small one can barely make it out even with reading glasses. And often the designer has chosen such an "artistic" font that it's often hard to tell a 6 from an 8 or a 5 from a 2. My advice: Look at your business cards. Can your phone number be read by someone without 20-20 vision?

No comments:

Post a Comment