Thursday, March 1, 2012

It's not that difficult to say it right.

I feel that I have a good command of the English language. After all I made my living writing. (Of course it was advertising, a field filled with writing illiterates.) But there are several changes in the language that I just don't understand. I wouldn't mind it if were one of those man-on-the-street things, but it's not—it's epidemic. I won't even bother whine about candidate, which absolutely no one pronounces correctly. Even the highest paid announcers say "cannadate". Where did that come from? No. I am more bothered by three-syllable words, at least those that are actually two-syllable words Like what? Oh, there are hundreds. Like gambling, sparkling, drizzling, sizzling, bubbling. On the news and almost everywhere else these words are pronounced gambeling, sparkeling, drizzeling, sizzeling and bubbeling even though nobody ever told the dictionary. I watched the ABC Nightly News which completely lacks correctly pronounced two-syllable words. Why? When did this start. The other madness is the new American inability to pronounce couldn't, wouldn't, shouldn't and didn't. In many cases these words are pronounced coonint, woonint, shoonint and dinnent, There are at least five different commercials for Nexium which begin with the announcer saying, "You woonint let your doctor...".Another Citi commercial has a girl getting ready to go mountain climbing with her boyfriend and asks the viewer "And what girl woonint want...". The language is changing, I know that, but you would think somebody would acknowledge the changes and let everybody know, especially when its rampant on network TV. And there is no way that I think coonint sounds as nice as couldn't And, say what you like, I much prefer gambling to gambeling, which sounds like gamboling, which I never do.

No comments:

Post a Comment