Friday, March 2, 2012

Rushing to unhappiness.

My partner's brother is dying of lung cancer. The only even possible good thing to come out of this tragedy is that it bought the two estranged siblings together after decades. Tonight, while my partner was at work, his brother's wife called for him. Finding out he wasn't home she told me that the brother is now in hospice—the last stage, and that there was no need to call back: she would keep him updated. Very sad. When my friend did get home he spent time , as usual, chatting with his co-worker in her car. It occurred to me, (though it never occur to me to do this) that most people in the possession of bad news feel they have to reveal it immediately. I am sure the average person would rush out to the car, their face filled with emergency, to reveal the latest bad news. Even worse are the night callers. I call it "jack lighting". What possible use is to wake someone out of a sound sleep to tell them something horrible that can wait till the morning? How much valuable time can one actually lose? Why do people do these things? It seems to me, unless immediate action is required, that one could wait a few minutes before colliding into a moment of pleasure in order to create a atmosphere of gloom. Just more of the many peculiar things we humans do instead of doing something else. Hmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment