Monday, March 5, 2012

A film to see, and a film to shun.

I just saw a very entertaining Australian movie on ON DEMAND. It was titled Tomorrow, When the War Began, and while it was reminiscent of Red Dawn, it was still an admirable depiction of a country being taken over by a foreign power. The young cast was very attractive, the plotting was excellent, the suspense was frequent and the special effect of a bridge being blown up was superb. As I was watching it, I was reminded of another film I saw recently which I found incredibly boring, badly directed and a waste of time—a film that had some similarities, notably a community being taken over and young people having to fight the enemy. But the boring film was from Hollywood, cost millions and had a famous-name director: Steven Spielberg. As you may have guessed that film was Super 8. Now while Super 8 was super boring and Tomorrow, When the War Began was very involving, the Hollywood film will get more press, more theaters and much more money. What's my point? Nothing other the fact in our age of costly promotion and falsely idealized talents, excellent films can appear and disappear while crap stays on the shelves and listings for ages.

3 comments:

  1. Charles Schwab is a huge Republican.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoops, I meant to place this comment on the previous post, of course. In the spirit of Rush Limbaugh, I apologize, but of course the leftists made me do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're very lucky, having placed your comment with the wrong post, that I don't do something in the spirit of Rush Limbaugh and call you all kinds of horrid names totally unrelated to your error.

    ReplyDelete