Monday, September 26, 2011

Taking a stand on English.

It seems to me that most Americans refuse to use the English language correctly. Most people don't pronounce the letter "t" within words, ergo: innernet, dennist, Atlannic Ocean, etc. Even announcers like Diane Sawyer and Scott Pelley turn two syllable words into three-letter words. Examples: gambeling, troubeling, bubbeling. So I plan to take a stand on English rules of which I don't approve. For starters, I refuse to write TV. A television set is not a proper noun and there's no reason in the world it should be give that distinction. I had to do it for decades when I wrote for companies like Sears and Zayre, but no more. But here's my most hated rule because I think it's stupid and it's now universally accepted. Please read the following sentence.

John asked Mary, "Are you going to the concert?" That is written correctly, but I hate it. To me it seems illogical. The whole sentence is not a question, why should it end with a question mark? I would write that sentence like this: John asked Mary, "Are you going to the concert?". Discussion over. So when you see I have done sentences like that, don't correct me. I don't care.

No comments:

Post a Comment