Monday, September 19, 2011

Kohler TV Commercial - Possessions

Is this a gay commercial? At first I took it at face value. But think about it. When he arrives at his friend's door, the other attractive guy says, "How did she take it?" Indicating he knew what his friend was going to discuss. "I'll get the wrench." seems to suggest they plan to be living together for more than a few days. Illogical as it is this spot is it has a kind of surreal, foreign-film charm. Why doesn't he have a car? Why move so late? What are those means of transportation? Why is the women with a dog in her bathrobe wearing curlers? Because this is a wish-fulfillment dream sequence with Freudian overtones (the couple kissing at a distance) and a strong homoerotic undertone of which even the sponsor was, probably, unaware.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, yes. This is a spot I have to watch several times, something that today's advertising rarely compels me to do. But I don't think the first guy was intentionally moving late at night, because the second guy asks, "How mad was she?" and he replies, "She kicked me out. But I took the best stuff."

    As for the bathrobe lady in the elevator, I was less intrigued by her curlers than I was by her curiosity (peeking into the handsome guy's standing cabinet). What was she looking for?

    Amazing commercial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. The fact that a bastion of the "old economy," a brick-and-mortar plumbing supply company for heaven's sake, is willing to be provocative in its advertising is, well, downright provocative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh hell yes this was a gay commercial. Its about time.. A very not so subtle advertisement. I got the meaning immediately !!!

    ReplyDelete