Sunday, April 11, 2021

WHAT HAPPENED TO BREAD?

I have a loaf of bread in the kitchen. I bought it weeks ago. But if I take out several slice of bread, they are  soft and fresh, as fresh as they were the day I bought the loaf. Why? Growing up, bread was a food that got stale and hard. Why has that changed? Now if I take the still-fresh bread in the kitchen and toast it, it becomes like cardboard: dry, tasteless, and nothing like the toast of decades past. I am just getting used to Half & Half that seems to last for months. Has bread also been treated to last for months, and is the price we pay for that longevity tastelessness? Now the bread in the kitchen is Pepperidge Farm White Sandwich, but during the pandemic I have purchased other brands and they all have the same flaws: long-lasting, less flavorful and disastrous as toast. I guess it never occurred to me that manufacturers can alter any of their products to have a longer shelf life without asking our permission. Still I hate to think that from now on toast will have the texture and flavor of Styrofoam.


No comments:

Post a Comment