Thursday, April 1, 2021

THE HIGH COST OF CARE.


Based on the Miami market, I've decided that today's two greediest robber barons are dentists and veterinarians. Dentists because they often lie or exaggerate to run the bill up. I recently paid $4,000 for a root canal and filling, and it still hurts six months later. Also should a denture really cost $1800? Or a relining, which they used to sell in drugstores for under $15.00, $350.00? And those are small amounts. I have friends that have paid in the thousands for questionable procedures. Also greedy are veterinarians who seem to care much more for money than they do for animals. Several years ago when my cat Chance became I'll, I took him to a local vet. She ran up $1,600.00 in tests. When the final test killed him, her excuse was, "Well he had a weak heart," something she never mentioned when I first brought him in. Since then I have never gotten out of the vet for the simplest procedures for my other cats for less than $200.00. (To be fair there is a reasonable vet in Coconut Grove.) I imagine there are money grubbers in all professions, but these are the two I most noticed. When Chance got sick, I should have made him comfortable at home and not put him through those needless and painful tests. Live and learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment