Monday, April 26, 2021

WHO WON? WHO CARES?

I haven't watched the Oscars in years. Not just because of the endless commercial interruptions, but because I have seen very few of the nominated movies and have no interest in doing so. Besides they have fooled me twice by giving "best picture" to two of the most boring films I have ever seen: the incredibly dismal and preposterous The Shape of Water and the annoyingly ordinary Parasite. I am sure today's hip moviegoers will fault me for reminiscing about the days of Roman Holiday, Marty, and Ben Hur when movies were movies. Though we had several undeserving films even then like The Greatest Show on Earth, Around the World in Eighty Days, and Hello, Dolly. Anyway I don't like award shows. There are two many talented people to single out a handful for excessive praise, and far too often the ones receiving the praise and the award are really not the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment