Sunday, April 9, 2017

NO VIDEOS PLEASE.

There is one thing I will never understand about news coverage. It remains a mystery to me about the people who provide the news and those who watch it. It is the repetition of horror. We say we are sickened, shocked and repulsed by the poisoned gas attack on innocent Syrians. Yet we show those supposedly unwatchable scenes again and again. We do this with every nightmarish event. Why? I don't want to see these horrors once, much less four or five times a night. I don't want to see mothers wailing about the death of their children after an earthquake or mudslide. I don't want to see fathers carrying their deceased children away from the scene of a tsunami. It seems to me the networks are saying, "Here is a scene of unimaginable horror. Hey, let's watch that again." Weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment