Sunday, January 16, 2011


This week I have been eager to post, but have found nothing to write about, at least nothing that pleased or irritated me so much that I wanted to comment. The Tuscon event was horrible, of course, but, as I wrote, the news covered that endlessly. Although in the English department, I found it annoying that a highly paid national news person, after reporting that the Ms. Giffords' breathing tube had been removed, added that "another victim was also released from the hospital." Since Giffords was not released, this is a truly stupid blunder. Oh, well. There are many commercials I hate, but I can't find them on YouTube to show you why. The music on the Jell-o commercials drives me mad. I think all car commercials are alike in that they are far too dramatic, suggest the car will change your life and make you younger and more exciting. Plus they always show it going faster than you can ever legally drive. I love the insurance commercial with the guy who is a hurricane and a 16-year-old-girl among other threats to life and limb. But I can't recall the company. Last night, while waiting for another show to start I watched a little bit of last night's Miss America Pageant, which seem to have been designed for men with a foot fetish since the commercials were mostly for DSW (WSD? SWD?) and one of the shamelessly commercial questions was, "What are you favorite shoes?" I am always surprised that most of these mannequins actually have talent and was especially impressed by the ventriloquist who had two singing dummy's and never moved her glossy lips. The show I was waiting for was yet another murder program. These fascinate me because I am amazed at the number of people who have perfectly wonderful lives, but want more, more, more. To get it they commit a crime—murder—and end up in jail with nothing, nothing, nothing. One aspect of these shows that intrigues me as the number of victims' parents who are very Christian, yet are hell bent on the most draconic revenge for the killer, even when the killer is still a teen. I guess the concept of forgiveness doesn't apply in such cases. Speaking of murder, I happen to believe that Amanda Knox is innocent and hope the new forensic team clears her. I am bothered that so many people I admire are convinced of her guilt. If I'm wrong, I will be very disappointed. I just picked up litter from the front yard. Who are these strange creatures who drive by and toss bottles and candy wrappers in front of somebody's home? Is it thoughtless or hostile? See what I mean? I have no clear direction for a posting. Hopefully I'll see something today that's really annoying.

No comments:

Post a Comment