Sunday, January 9, 2011

The feeling that you're being followed.

El Dorado Furniture does some very nice commercials and, in general, their furniture is high-quality and well-designed at least compared to most stores today. But I would never shop at El Dorado again. Why? Because as soon as you enter the store someone is assigned to follow you. Perhaps stalk would be a better word. It's very unnerving to search for that right chair or bed and constantly see this hands-folded salesperson out of the corner of your eye. As soon as you move, they move. Now in any other store you could say to the salesperson, "I'm sorry. I don't need any help. I'll let you know if I do." But that doesn't work at El Dorado. When I tried it the salesperson informed me that salespersons are required to stay with the customer. When I told him I would never make a purchase while being tracked, he arrogantly indicated that perhaps El Dorado was not the store for me. He was right.

No comments:

Post a Comment