Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Four evenings of bliss.


I have several friends watching the 4-part Masterpiece Theatre series Downton Abbey. They seem to be as avid about seeing each new episode as I am. What I don't understand is why so few people watch superb productions like this or even know it's on. Most people seem to be into Survivor, American Idol, The Biggest Loser, one of the 106 CSI series, and any number of sitcoms and reality shows about people redecorating their homes or being buried in trash. Each of these popular shows has a zillion commercials and offers you nothing of real value. Downton Abbey, on the other hand, has brilliant writing, great actors, wonderful characters, can't-wait-for-the-next-episode plots, magnificent settings, gorgeous costumes and absolutely no commercials. What's not to like? True, some of the plot lines are reminiscent of such films as Mrs. Miniver and, I am told, Little Women, but who would know that and who cares? This is sophisticated, provocative television that deserves to be seen by far more viewers. And, happily it does have many more viewers than other past Masterpiece offerings. (Possibly due in part to the enormous success of The King's Speech.) Unfortunately I don't personally know enough of those viewers. When I asked acquaintances if they are watching Downton Abbey, I get a blank stare as if they think it's a new hour-long drama about undercover nuns. When I get this vapid look I feel an intense sense of snobbery and want to shout, "How can you watch crappy commercial-heavy American TV when you could be watching Downton Abbey?" Oh, well,their bloody loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment