Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Calm down. It's not that exciting.


I admit it. I like Wheel of Fortune. Mostly because I'm good at guessing the answers. But I don't watch it because there's something about it I detest. It's the same thing I detest about Jon Stewart's The Daily Show, Bill Maher's show, and hundreds of other shows over the decades: the screaming fake applause. Since the advent of television, producers have always hired some hyper barker (usually a failed comedian or clown) to encourage the audience to act as if the appearance of the host of star was the second coming. It's obnoxious. And it doesn't end there. This same fluffer has his "applaud" signs to keep the energy high. The brilliant Bill Maher is particularly annoying because he tries to appear surprised at the screaming audience that has been told to scream. And on Wheel does every correct answer really require manic enthusiasm from the audience? Are we supposed to believe that all those contestants automatically applaud themselves with each correctly chosen letter? Do they do that at home after a particularly good meal? Jeopardy, which I do watch, seems to have just the right amount of audience recognition without the "This is the most exciting moment of my entire life" audience reaction of other shows. Thanks Alex.

No comments:

Post a Comment