Monday, September 10, 2012

The disappearing rule.

From the day I began attending Boston's  Lucretia Crocker School in1948, we were taught that one does not say thuh, but rather thee, before a word beginning with a vowel. Therefore you asked for the thee apple and thuh cookie. This rule seemed to be in effect most of my life. But in the past twenty years or so I noticed it no longer seems to apply and I think that's a pity. Because when someone says they love the "thuh idea" or "thuh open road" it sounds dumb to me. It rings of Valley Girl diction. And who says it? Almost everyone today, including newscasters, actors and politicians. I noticed it just now when Joe Scarborough said "thuh action" when discussing sports. I think thee English language is getting thuh shaft these days.

Note: Webster's New World Dictionary and probably all others still indicate that one says thee before a  vowel.

No comments:

Post a Comment