Friday, September 14, 2012

One of my constant complaints.

I always understood that chain stores with lots of outlets could have lower prices because they purchase in volume. Apparently that's not true with Walgreens. Despite having more than 6,300 stores, their prices are shockingly higher than other chains having far fewer stores, even those considered to be expensive. In Miami the major supermarket chain is Publix, which has about 1,056 supermarkets in the South. Now Publix is not considered to be an inexpensive supermarket.  Yet every time I need to make a purchase and compare the cost at Walgreen's, the item is far cheaper at Publix. Today I needed to purchase a Sharpie pen. At Walgreen's a package of two was $3.99, at Publix the same package was $2.09. I consider $1.90 a major difference in price. And I frequently find equally appalling price differences. I doubt that I have many readers, but the ones I do have will save a lot of money if they stop purchasing anything at Walgreen's and go somewhere else—anywhere else.

No comments:

Post a Comment