Saturday, November 21, 2020

GOOD NEWS. BAD NEWS.

The good news is there is no item for furniture more beautiful to me than the Eames Lounge Chair and Ottoman, It is the Arabian Stallion of chairs. Invented in 1956 by married couple, Charles and Ray Eames for the Herman Miller company, it has been a standard of quality and design ever since. This magnificent and superbly comfortable creation of genuine leather and molded plywood costs between $4,000 and $6,500 and is worth every cent. There are many less expensive copies, but I sprang for two of the originals though it strained the budget. And that's the bad news. In the past year one of my Eames chairs snapped twice. The first was when the left arm separated from the main frame. It cost $170.00 to repair it. Then a few months ago the right arm snapped. I lost the name of the repair man, and have yet to find someone to repair it for less than $170.00 so it is sitting beautiful and unused.  Fortunately I bought an imitation when I was less successful for about $500.00. That chair is still in perfect condition after 50 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment