Friday, August 7, 2015

Do you know what this is?

I'm curious because obviously most people don't. Especially people who use this item of furniture. They never refer to it correctly, but call it by another name—an inaccurate name. This is a lectern. It is not a podium. Nobody stands behind the podium. They stand behind the lectern. One stands on a podium. Pod means feet, those things that one stands on when standing on the podium. I was amazed during the discussions of last night's debate that not one news person correctly referred to the lecterns, but kept speaking of "standing behind the podium". Now I wouldn't be surprised if this has become an accepted term for what is actually the lectern because often we have to change the meanings of words because people are too ignorant to use the correct ones.

2 comments:

  1. I thought it was called a dais - but I guess that's more like a podium?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe that a dais is larger podium in essence where
    several people and possibly several lecterns might be
    accommodated.

    ReplyDelete