Monday, September 30, 2013

The true spirit of Disney!


I don't believe in buying water any more than I believe in buying air. Especially since the purchasable waters are often not from the center of the earth so much as the center of Cleveland. Thus I am always amazed at how readily people will spend $1.00 to $2.00 for something that's no more pure than what you can get from a tap, free. Which leads us to Disney World. Not only is everything overpriced in the happiest place on earth, but it's obscenely overpriced. A bottle of water at my hotel's restaurant and convenience store was $4.00. A cup of coffee was $3.49. At least the cup was. You had to purchase an empty cup before you could fill it with coffee. What they didn't tell me was that the cup was refillable, thus I, fool that I am, purchased a new cup every morning. But then Disney is designed to make happy tourists open their wallets and overpay for food, liquor, souvenirs, ears , caricatures, and the privilege of staying at one of their costly resorts. We stayed at the Wild Kingdom, which was a great looking, drum-beating, Africa-themed hotel in which one's room faced out on their spacious animal habitat. It was a joy in the morning to see giraffes, and all those antelopes nobody can actually name. But the pricey room wasn't any bigger or more luxurious than most 4-star hotels, and actually had fewer amenities. I think Disney punishes people who don't eat at their most expensive restaurants, because I didn't and had some of the worst meals of my life, notably at the Wild Kingdom where I had an inedible $22.00 breakfast. So, yes, Disney is fun. But, no, it is no the happiest place on earth.The Magic Kingdom, for instance, has become really tacky and has shows like one called Snitch that is anything but imagineering. Still, I must admit I enjoyed myself, but that's because I didn't buy any rip-off priced figurines from China, tee-shirts from China, flip-flops from China, Americana from China, or bottled water from who knows where.

No comments:

Post a Comment