Friday, August 6, 2010

What were they thinking?

This morning I made some purchases at Walgreens' in Coral Gables. While I was waiting in the checkout line, I saw a product that caught my eye. It was a box of individually wrapped in cellophane cubes just above the candy display. Lying next to the open box that contained them was the festive yellow and white striped lid which read Elephant. I assumed that they were probably a candy like halvah or possible some kind of exotic honeyed sweet. Certainly their appearance made them a tempting impulse purchase for parents waiting in line with the children. Still not knowing what kind of candy they were, I picked up one of them to read the little white label under the cellophane. I read, "Warning hamful or fatal if swallowed." This was shocking enough to me, that these camphor cubes would be with the store's candy display, but knowing how many of the customers speak Spanish only it seems like a nightware waiting to happen. Being pushy and aggressive, I encouraged the pharmacist to make sure that this display was removed, which he assured me would be done. I also called Walgreen's home office and Channel 7. Nobody seemed to think it was a rife with danger as I did, which makes the entire situation even scarier.

Follow up: When I went back to Walgreen's two days later, the display of poison with candy was still there. This time I made more of a fuss and waited till they removed it. I also have written to Walgreen's about this weird situation. I will be curious to see if they write back.

No comments:

Post a Comment