Wednesday, August 18, 2010

It isn't that difficult.


I don't claim to be an expert on the English language, just more capable than most. Look at my past posts and you can find many things to pick on. For instance, I often forget to put the question mark at the end of an interrogatory sentence. The people who should be expert at English are those who are paid to use it, like radio and television announcers. Yet I have found them to be the most inept users of our language. My latest pet peeve among many is the misuse of the word related to the principles, doctrines or beliefs of a group, most notably used for religions. The Catholic Church, for instance, has tenets not tenants, unless you're speaking about someone who lives there, like the mouse shown here. But most announcers refer to the tenants of the church. Where did they get that?

No comments:

Post a Comment